Thursday, 17 September 2015

Love Letter #5

Dearest B


Do you remember me being fascinated by a singing bird in the cardamom plantations of Munnar? I'd whistle with it and run to the balcony to have a glimpse of that elusive charmer. It is one of the most soothing sounds that have touched my soul. A gentle whistling in absolute silence. 

Why am I talking about it today? Well, I was reading a collection of short stories by Ruskin Bond, 'Falling in love again', where he has mentioned the bird's name in umpteen places. Whistling-thrush... That's what is the beautiful, melodious bird called. And do you know what it sings? I'd like to quote some lines from the book, "Blackbird on the wing, bird of the forest shadows, black rose in the long ago summer, this was your song - It isn't time that's passing by, it is you and I'.

Beautiful lines, isn't it? That holds true only for the bird and us. When it comes to you and me, it's only the time that's passing by. We'll be here, there, everywhere; together, forever; you and I.




No comments:

Post a Comment